Sevilla 2-Three Borussia Dortmund: Erling Braut Haaland places Dortmund in control of Champions League tie
Erling Braut Haaland continued his gorgeous scoring run within the Champions League as Borussia Dortmund put apart their home woes to take management of their last-16 tie with Sevilla.
They trailed early on to a Suso shot that deflected in off Mats Hummels.
Mahmoud Dahoud levelled earlier than Haaland bought his 17th purpose in 13 video games within the competitors to place them forward.
It was 18 quickly after by way of a neat end, with Luuk de Jong scoring late on to present Sevilla hope within the tie.
The substitute’s side-foot end from a free-kick was reward for a concerted push from the house facet that finally got here too late to degree the rating on the evening.
There was a video assistant referee examine for a penalty for the Spanish facet in added time for a possible foul by Thomas Meunier on De Jong however the officers deemed the contact between the 2 authorized.
The second leg in Germany is on 9 March.
Haaland responds to Mbappe gauntlet
Twenty-four hours after Kylian Mbappe introduced himself as Europe’s potential new goalscoring prime canine along with his Nou Camp hat-trick, Haaland served warning of his intention to be the Cristiano Ronaldo to the Frenchman’s Lionel Messi.
If such comparisons appear a little bit untimely, Mbappe and Haaland at the moment are accountable for 28 Champions League targets because the begin of final season. Messi and Ronaldo have 15 between them in the identical time.
As Mbappe had performed towards Barcelona, Haaland terrorised Sevilla along with his energy and tempo.
Not one of the backtracking dwelling gamers had been prepared or in a position to get close to him as he charged ahead, shared a one-two with Jadon Sancho and beat keeper Yassine Bounou to complete his first purpose to place the guests forward.
For his second, and Dortmund’s third, they had been overcommitted and undone by the Norwegian’s clever run and exact, low side-foot shot.
The 2 targets preserve Haaland’s report of getting scored towards all eight groups he has confronted within the Champions League.
He’s the fifth participant within the competitors’s historical past to attain twice in three consecutive appearances, following Filippo Inzaghi, Giovane Elber, Cristiano Ronaldo (3 times) and Robert Lewandowski.
He has scored 10 targets within the competitors in simply seven appearances for Borussia Dortmund, the quickest a participant has ever reached that mark for a staff, breaking Roy Makaay’s report with Bayern Munich (10 video games, 2003-04).
And talking of Bayern, solely their striker Lewandowski can match Haaland’s Champions League tally of 18 targets because the begin of final season.
One closing, non-Haaland however notable stat so as to add: at 17 years and 233 days, Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham grew to become the youngest ever English participant to start out a recreation within the knockout phases of the Champions League on Wednesday.
The efficiency of Haaland and his team-mates in Spain solely goes to indicate how a lot they’ve underachieved domestically this season.
They got here into Wednesday’s recreation having received simply three of their previous eight video games in all competitions and sitting a lowly sixth – by their very own excessive requirements – within the Bundesliga, 16 factors behind leaders Bayern Munich.
Supervisor Lucien Favre was sacked in December after reaching the final 16 of the Champions League and Edin Terzic appointed interim boss, with Borussia Monchengladbach boss Marco Rose set to succeed him subsequent season.
With studies that among the membership’s prime stars shall be offered in the event that they fail to qualify for subsequent season’s Champions League, successful the competitors this 12 months could also be Rose’s solely hope of working with Haaland and Sancho in 2021-22.
Dortmund earn simply second CL win in Spain
- Dortmund picked up simply their second ever away win towards Spanish opposition within the Champions League (D3 L7), with their first victory since beating Atletico Madrid in 1996-97 – a season during which they ultimately went on to carry the trophy.
- In what was their 27th dwelling recreation within the European Cup/Champions League, Sevilla suffered back-to-back dwelling defeats within the competitors for the primary time.
- Dortmund ended a run of six straight defeats away from dwelling within the knockout phases of the Champions League, with this their first such victory since February 2014 beneath Jurgen Klopp (4-2 v Zenit St Petersburg).
- Mahmoud Dahoud’s long-range strike for Dortmund was his first purpose within the Champions League, with what was his 26th shot within the competitors – 25 of these 26 makes an attempt have been from outdoors the field.
- Suso’s opener for Sevilla was solely the second of Sevilla’s final 25 targets within the Champions League to be scored by a Spanish participant, with the earlier one being scored by Pablo Sarabia towards Bayern Munich in April 2018.
- 20Santos Silva
- 8JordánSubstituted forRodríguezat 72′minutesBooked at 88minutes
- 10RakiticSubstituted forGudeljat 45′minutes
- 7Fernández SaezSubstituted forde Jongat 60′minutes
- 15En-NesyriSubstituted forEl Haddadiat 60′minutes
- 42GómezSubstituted forTorresat 60′minutes
- 9de Jong
- 11El Haddadi
- 15HummelsBooked at 73minutes
- 13GuerreiroSubstituted forPasslackat 77′minutes
- 8DahoudSubstituted forMeunierat 89′minutes
- 11ReusSubstituted forBrandtat 80′minutes
- 9HaalandBooked at 90minutes
Stay Textual content
Match ends, Sevilla 2, Borussia Dortmund 3.
Second Half ends, Sevilla 2, Borussia Dortmund 3.
Foul by Sergio Escudero (Sevilla).
Julian Brandt (Borussia Dortmund) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Try saved. Diego Carlos (Sevilla) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is saved within the backside left nook.
Erling Haaland (Borussia Dortmund) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
Jesús Navas (Sevilla) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Erling Haaland (Borussia Dortmund).
Try missed. Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund) left footed shot from outdoors the field is shut, however misses to the left. Assisted by Julian Brandt.
Substitution, Borussia Dortmund. Thomas Meunier replaces Mahmoud Dahoud.
Offside, Borussia Dortmund. Erling Haaland tries a by way of ball, however Jadon Sancho is caught offside.
Óscar Rodríguez (Sevilla) is proven the yellow card.
Foul by Óscar Rodríguez (Sevilla).
Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Try missed. Óscar Rodríguez (Sevilla) proper footed shot from outdoors the field is just too excessive from a direct free kick.
Munir El Haddadi (Sevilla) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Mahmoud Dahoud (Borussia Dortmund).
Objective! Sevilla 2, Borussia Dortmund 3. Luuk de Jong (Sevilla) proper footed shot from the suitable facet of the six yard field to the underside left nook. Assisted by Óscar Rodríguez following a set piece state of affairs.
Diego Carlos (Sevilla) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Emre Can (Borussia Dortmund).