Southampton 1-1 Chelsea: Ralph Hasenhuttl hopes Saints will kick on after draw
Ralph Hasenhuttl mentioned he hoped Southampton’s draw in opposition to Chelsea was the beginning of his aspect returning to their regular selves after they ended a run of six successive Premier League defeats.
The hosts took the lead in opposition to the run of play within the first half when Nathan Redmond performed an excellent ball to ship Takumi Minamino clear and the on-loan Liverpool striker confirmed nice composure to fit past Edouard Mendy.
However the Saints gifted Chelsea an equaliser eight minutes after the break when Danny Ings introduced down Mason Mount contained in the field and the Blues midfielder stepped as much as ship Alex McCarthy the incorrect method from the penalty spot.
Chelsea had been unable to kick on after that and as an alternative it was Southampton who went closest to grabbing a winner as Jannik Vestergaard hit the crossbar with a header earlier than Ings put the free ball into the side-netting.
Nonetheless, Saints supervisor Hasenhuttl was happy with a constructive lead to mild of their latest torrid run.
“A draw appears like a win,” he mentioned. “It is a step in direction of us returning to our regular type.”
“We’re believing in what we’re doing. The Premier League is hard. For us, it’s good that we take a degree from such a robust aspect.”
The purpose left Chelsea in fourth place on 43 factors with Southampton 13th on 30 factors.
Saints finish shedding run
Southampton had been third on 16 December however a horrible run of losses going into this sport had seen then slide down into the underside half of the desk. Whereas they could not have been wanting nervously over their shoulder, arresting their alarming slide down the desk had develop into a precedence.
For giant intervals in opposition to Chelsea they had been like a plucky decrease league aspect aiming to shock a Premier League opponent. They barely noticed the ball for almost all of the primary half and it was from their first contact contained in the Blues’ space that they bought the objective with a brilliantly composed end by Minamino.
Nonetheless, no aspect has dropped extra factors from profitable positions within the Premier League than Southampton and as soon as once more they had been their very own worst enemy as Ings gave away a penalty with Chelsea having not often seemed like creating something from open play.
Whereas it might have been an excellent higher consequence, notably with Vestergaard hitting the woodwork, the purpose is a constructive in opposition to an in-form Chelsea. They are going to hope it offers a very good base to try to construct from earlier than a tricky-looking run of 4 successive away video games within the Premier League.
check for Tuchel
Thomas Tuchel loved a close to excellent begin to his reign at Chelsea, profitable 4 of his first 5 Premier League video games and drawing the opposite one – a goalless stalemate with Wolves in his first match in cost.
The Blues had by no means been behind throughout that run, so Minamino’s objective – the primary scored by an opposition participant since Tuchel’s arrival – introduced a brand new problem for the German in his brief time to date in England.
Even earlier than the Southampton objective, Chelsea had struggled to interrupt down their cussed opponents and that continued after Mount equalised from the penalty spot.
The guests’ attacking play turned more and more sloppy as frustration grew with their lack of ability to discover a method by the Southampton defence, exemplified by a poor Reece James end when he lashed over on the far publish.
Tuchel confirmed he’s not afraid to make robust choices when issues should not working for his aspect. He changed Callum Hudson-Odoi on 76 minutes regardless of the winger having solely come on at half-time and after the sport was essential of the participant’s physique language.
Failure to win meant Chelsea missed the chance to strengthen their place within the prime 4 however Tuchel could have realized loads about how his aspect fare after they come up in opposition to sides set as much as stifle them.
“We not solely had possession however good possession within the opponent half, within the final 20 metres we lacked high quality and that’s the fact,” mentioned Tuchel.
“We lacked dedication, aggressiveness and extra one on one probabilities. We managed 80 metres, all counter assaults and whenever you management the match like this and also you want a penalty to attain, you see the issue is evident.”
No penalty blues for Chelsea – the stats
- Mason Mount turned the 25th totally different participant to attain a penalty for Chelsea within the Premier League, with the Blues having extra penalty scorers than another crew within the competitors’s historical past.
- Southampton ended a run of six successive Premier League defeats, the membership’s worst shedding run of their Soccer League historical past, since profitable 1-Zero in opposition to Liverpool on Four January.
- Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel is the 16th supervisor in Premier League historical past to keep away from defeat in his first six video games within the competitors (W4 D2) and the primary since Maurizio Sarri in September 2018, additionally with the Blues.
- Southampton have misplaced 18 factors from main positions within the Premier League this season, greater than another aspect.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in three away league video games (W2 D1) after shedding 4 of the 5 earlier than that (W1).
- Southampton conceded their fifth penalty objective of the league season; solely in 1993-94 and 2016-17 (each six) did the Saints concede extra targets from the spot in a Premier League marketing campaign.
- Southampton’s Takumi Minamino turned the primary opposition participant to attain in opposition to Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea in all competitions, ending a run of 572 minutes with out such a objective for the German supervisor (Antonio Rüdiger scored an own-goal in sport v Sheffield United).
- Southampton scored with their first shot of the sport through Takumi Minamino’s opener on 33 minutes, with that strike additionally Saints’ first contact in Chelsea’s field.
- Southampton’s Nathan Redmond registered his first help in his final 16 Premier League appearances, since July 2020 in opposition to Bournemouth.
Southampton journey to Leeds on Tuesday, 23 February (18:00 GMT) within the Premier League whereas Chelsea are in Champions League motion on the identical night time as they play Atletico Madrid in Bucharest (20:00)
- 1McCarthyBooked at 90minutes
- 19MinaminoSubstituted forTellaat 76′minutes
- 9IngsSubstituted forAdamsat 85′minutes
- 11RedmondSubstituted forN’Lunduluat 90+4′minutes
- 17KovacicSubstituted forJorginhoat 76′minutes
- 3AlonsoBooked at 80minutes
- 9AbrahamSubstituted forHudson-Odoiat 45′minutesSubstituted forZiyechat 76′minutes
Stay Textual content
Match ends, Southampton 1, Chelsea 1.
Second Half ends, Southampton 1, Chelsea 1.
Antonio Rüdiger (Chelsea) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Daniel N’Lundulu (Southampton).
Substitution, Southampton. Daniel N’Lundulu replaces Nathan Redmond.
Nook, Southampton. Conceded by Kurt Zouma.
Alex McCarthy (Southampton) is proven the yellow card.
Hand ball by Moussa Djenepo (Southampton).
Try missed. Mason Mount (Chelsea) proper footed shot from outdoors the field is simply too excessive. Assisted by Hakim Ziyech following a nook.
Nook, Chelsea. Conceded by Jannik Vestergaard.
Foul by Hakim Ziyech (Chelsea).
Nathan Tella (Southampton) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Substitution, Southampton. Che Adams replaces Danny Ings.
Try missed. Reece James (Chelsea) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is simply too excessive. Assisted by Mason Mount with a cross.
Marcos Alonso (Chelsea) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Moussa Djenepo (Southampton).
Foul by Jorginho (Chelsea).
Moussa Djenepo (Southampton) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Marcos Alonso (Chelsea) is proven the yellow card for a foul foul.
Foul by Marcos Alonso (Chelsea).