West Ham United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Hammers climb to fourth
West Ham supervisor David Moyes says his facet “have not hit prime gear but” regardless of climbing into the highest 4 of the Premier League with victory over London rivals Tottenham.
Objectives early in every half from Michail Antonio and Jesse Lingard gave the Hammers a two-goal cushion at London Stadium, earlier than Lucas Moura’s header decreased the arrears.
Gareth Bale and Son Heung-min each struck the woodwork for Spurs within the second half, however West Ham held on for his or her seventh win in 9 league video games.
“I believe we are able to play significantly better,” Moyes advised BBC Match of the Day afterwards.
“The gamers have been discovering methods to wrestle factors off the opposition.
“They’ve completed an excellent job. You want a little bit of luck alongside the way in which however we had all the suitable issues.”
Antonio – again within the Hammers’ beginning line-up after a two-game absence – poked the hosts in entrance after Hugo Lloris had did not take care of Jarrod Bowen’s cross.
Lingard’s third purpose in 4 league video games was initially disallowed for offside in opposition to Pablo Fornals.
However VAR dominated that the Spaniard was not interfering with play when the Manchester United loanee skipped by the visiting defence earlier than powerfully discovering the far nook to make it 2-0.
Half-time substitute Bale arrange Moura to present Spurs hope, earlier than hitting the highest of the crossbar with a fierce strike 10 minutes later.
Son additionally struck the body of the purpose in stoppage time.
The win – Moyes’ first over Jose Mourinho in 16 makes an attempt – lifts West Ham two factors away from Chelsea in fifth, whereas Spurs stay in ninth.
In-form Hammers grind out win
Moyes just lately admitted to feeling “uneasy” when discussing the Hammers’ place close to the highest of the desk, however that’s unlikely to die down following their seventh win in 9 league matches.
West Ham regarded a lot sharper from the off and deservedly took an early lead by Antonio, whose tempo and physicality brought about the Spurs defence all kinds of issues within the opening exchanges.
Moyes’ facet restricted Tottenham to simply two pictures heading in the right direction earlier than the break – each of which got here within the last minutes of the half – and so they made the proper begin to the second interval when Lingard mixed with Fornals earlier than lashing past Lloris to proceed his latest revival, having swapped purple for claret and blue.
Nevertheless, the hosts had their backs to the wall for the remainder of the sport as Spurs elevated the urgency, with Moura’s header from Bale’s cross establishing a nervy end.
They rode their luck when Vladimir Coufal’s clearance struck Son earlier than looping over Fabianski and onto the surface of the submit, however few might begrudge Moyes’s staff all three factors.
West Ham face each Manchester golf equipment, Leeds and Arsenal of their subsequent 4 league matches. If they’ll emerge from these fixtures comparatively unscathed, it might set the platform for an thrilling finish to the marketing campaign for Hammers followers.
Sluggish begin prices Spurs
Stories on Sunday urged Mourinho’s job could possibly be in danger if Spurs did not beat West Ham, and the Portuguese’s staff might hardly have made a worse begin at London Stadium.
Mourinho can have been livid on the method of the Hammers’ opener, as Eric Dier did not clear Bowen’s in-swinging supply earlier than Lloris’ fumble allowed Antonio to prod dwelling.
The purpose appeared to empty the arrogance out of Spurs’ gamers, who regarded desperately wanting concepts till Harry Kane examined Fabianski’s reflexes late within the first half.
Lingard’s strike left the guests with an enormous activity however the introduction of Bale – a half-time substitute for Lamela – quickly paid dividends.
The Welshman’s nook was flicked in off the submit by Moura to cut back the arrears, earlier than the Actual Madrid loanee skimmed the highest of the crossbar from the sting of the realm.
Kane – unnoticed of Thursday’s win in Budapest for health causes – additionally went shut from the sting of the field and Son nearly salvaged a attract weird circumstances, however it was to not be for Tottenham.
The outcome leaves Spurs 9 factors behind the fourth-placed Hammers, though they do have a sport in hand on their London rivals.
Antonio is West Ham’s fox within the field – the stats
- Tottenham Hotspur have misplaced 5 of their final six league video games (W1), solely selecting up factors in a 2-Zero dwelling victory in opposition to West Brom on this time. Their eight league defeats this season are Jose Mourinho’s most since 2015-16 with Chelsea, when he was sacked after 9 league defeats.
- Mourinho took cost of his 50th Premier League sport with Tottenham at present (W23 D12 L15). The 81 factors Spurs have picked up beneath the Portuguese is 14 fewer than he is managed with another facet all through his first 50 league video games in cost (Man Utd, 95).
- West Ham will spend an evening within the prime 4 locations in a top-flight marketing campaign after not less than 25 matches have been performed, for the primary time since 1985-86, once they completed the season in third.
- West Ham’s Michail Antonio has scored 42 Premier League objectives and so they have all come from contained in the field – within the competitors’s historical past, solely Tim Cahill (56), Javier Hernandez (53) and Gabriel Jesus (45) have scored extra with all of them coming from contained in the field.
- Antonio has scored 5 Premier League objectives in opposition to Tottenham Hotspur, his finest return in opposition to any single facet within the competitors.
- Jesse Lingard has scored three objectives in 4 league video games beneath David Moyes for West Ham, as many as he netted in his 36 whole league appearances beneath Ole Gunnar Solskjær at Man Utd.
‘It was a giant, huge ask’ – what the managers mentioned
West Ham boss David Moyes talking to BBC MOTD: “It’s a nice outcome for us. Right this moment we felt it was a giant, huge activity. Tottenham are one of many prime sides and have implausible gamers. For us to get a outcome and preserve our momentum going is de facto good.
“There was a interval we might have gone 2-Zero up once we went 1-Zero up and we did not take it, in order that allowed Tottenham to develop in confidence as the sport went on.”
On Jesse Lingard’s impression: “Gamers need to play. They need to present what they’ll do. It wasn’t way back Jesse was an England worldwide so I knew if we might get that stage of participant, it will enhance us.”
Tottenham supervisor Jose Mourinho talking to BBC MOTD: “The best way we completed the sport confirmed it was not a bodily downside that stopped us having a outcome.
“I believe we did [have enough to win]. Dropping 1-Zero at half-time it’s a must to raise the gamers and play higher within the second half, which we did.
“You’re enjoying in opposition to a staff that fought within the second half. They defended – we attacked and created and had been unfortunate.”
West Ham journey to runaway Premier League leaders Manchester Metropolis on Saturday, 27 February (12:30 GMT), whereas Spurs host Burnley the next day (14:00 GMT).
West Ham United
- 23DiopBooked at 62minutes
- 28SoucekBooked at 56minutes
- 20BowenSubstituted forBenrahmaat 65′minutes
- 11LingardSubstituted forNobleat 90+4′minutes
- 18FornalsBooked at 72minutesSubstituted forJohnsonat 82′minutes
- 30AntonioBooked at 69minutes
- 25TangangaSubstituted forDohertyat 45′minutes
- 6D Sánchez
- 3ReguilónBooked at 44minutesSubstituted forAlliat 77′minutes
- 5HøjbjergBooked at 42minutes
- 27Lucas Moura
- 11LamelaBooked at 36minutesSubstituted forBaleat 45′minutes
- 7Son Heung-Min
- 45Alves Morais
Stay Textual content
Match ends, West Ham United 2, Tottenham Hotspur 1.
Second Half ends, West Ham United 2, Tottenham Hotspur 1.
Foul by Lucas Moura (Tottenham Hotspur).
Tomas Soucek (West Ham United) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Substitution, West Ham United. Mark Noble replaces Jesse Lingard.
Try missed. Son Heung-Min (Tottenham Hotspur) proper footed shot from exterior the field is just too excessive. Assisted by Eric Dier.
Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Jesse Lingard (West Ham United).
Nook, Tottenham Hotspur. Conceded by Issa Diop.
Try missed. Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur) proper footed shot from exterior the field is excessive and large to the suitable. Assisted by Dele Alli.
Try missed. Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur) header from the centre of the field misses to the left. Assisted by Matt Doherty with a cross.
Substitution, West Ham United. Ben Johnson replaces Pablo Fornals.
Lucas Moura (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick on the suitable wing.
Foul by Tomas Soucek (West Ham United).
Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur) hits the bar with a left footed shot from exterior the field. Assisted by Harry Kane.
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Dele Alli replaces Sergio Reguilón.
Sergio Reguilón (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Jesse Lingard (West Ham United).
Try missed. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from exterior the field is shut, however misses to the left. Assisted by Lucas Moura.
Pablo Fornals (West Ham United) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.